Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Two More

These canvases are each 8x10". The mermaid is painted on a round puzzle that I put together and painted. It is fairly thick (over 1/8"). Then I glued it to the painted canvas and affixed mica flakes to the edges. The fish collages are coated in thick, shiny resin. It is quite dimensional which doesn't come across well in the photograph.

The second canvas is paint, collage elements and encaustic. I've done a number of paintings referencing love letters. Several weeks after John and I first met he left for 6 months to work on a tuna seiner off the coast of South America. This led to a series of love letters passing back and forth between us that were eagerly anticipated and then treasured. In addition, I still have the scrap of paper with written directions to his house that I followed on my first visit to see him. I had blotted my lipstick on the paper before I knocked on his door; what precious evidence! That was nearly 28 years ago now. Sweet memories and all of them tenderly saved.

7 comments:

kelly rae said...

love these, judy. my john also left for 6 months not long after we had started dating, and like you, the letters were (and still are) sweet treasures. i hope 28 years from now, we still have them!

Søren said...

What a great love letter story! Do you sell your paintings in galleries? I know you sell the prints yourself, but - when you're just painting to your hearts content, where do the paintings go? Also, have you ever painted a floor cloth? I just read an article about them right after I looked at this entry, and I thought what a cool WELCOME mat your paintings would be! (you totally varnish them so they wouldn't get hurt!)

Abby Creek Art said...

What a cool idea to use the puzzle! Both paintings are beautiful, Judy.

And...what a sweet story about you and John.

Judy Wise said...

For Soren: these paintings will be going with me to Artfest in 2 weeks. Any that do not sell there will go to my summer art fairs or to one of several galleries that show my work. And yes, I have several floor cloths in my studio that I have painted and others I have given away. Love painting the floorcloths!!

DubiQuilts - Debbi said...

Beautiful and outstanding!

Tracie Lyn Huskamp said...

Judy... I am SAVIN' my pennies.. to purchase SOMETHING WONDERFUL from you at AF...

Are you bringing... any of your journals???? I would LOVE to look through a couple...
=)))

Red Sonja said...

wow - i really connect with your art work...thank you so much for sharing them. Sonn