Pages

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Teaching Schedule Up

Just a quickie post before our scheduled windstorm tomorrow so that if I have to turn off the computer I won't feel behind. I've posted the 2008 teaching schedule in the sidebar. The images above and below are samples for a class I'll be teaching at The Raeven's Nest in Cedarburg, Wisconsin in October. Kim has just posted all the information at the website and put an ad in this month's Cloth Paper Scissors so the word is out. Also joining me there will be Laurie Mika, Bernie Berlin, Michael deMeng, Opie and Linda O'Brien, Karyn Gartel and Jill K. Berry. The hotels are gorgeous, the town historic, the class line-up very exciting. Check it out.



Of course I did go out on the town with John for a New Year's Eve Party at the home of the charming Ricardo. He is the party-meister supreme. We were not wild but we did have wonderful food and libations and Rick put on a funny hat and amused us all. I could say more. We had a blast.

Here is a true vintage photo from around 1965. My precious daughters in their matching flannel nighties made for them by my revered Aunt Marjorie as a Christmas present. Those were thin days of single motherhood when I worked at Motorola in Phoenix and attended Arizona State University. I took off from work that day and spent my entire paycheck on Christmas presents (it was the year of the Easy-Bake Oven). My room mate Linda and I made sure the girls had a good Christmas although Shellie was obviously mad about something in this photo; something that Stephanie thought was pretty funny. So long ago, it brings a lump in my throat to revisit those children, so sweet and trusting and their mother so young and inexperienced.

Here's to all young mothers struggling to do their best for their children while juggling their own needs. It's very hard, I know.

20 comments:

Kelly Snelling said...

okay. you've done it. those pictures you have painted have made me jealous. lol! they are so gorgeous, judy! kudos, kudos! and your daughters are the most precious things in their candy can nighties. and it surely is tough trying to be a good mom 24/7. sometimes i just want to be very, very quiet and very, very alone. soon school will begin again and i will miss them so much. but right now, whew. i'm worn out. :0)

Mary Ann said...

i love these stories of young motherhood, and baby girls in peppermint nighties, and spending the whole paycheck on presents. and then those paintings...they are rich and deeply beautiful. i want to dive under the surface of those watery depths and swim away.
storms heading our way. better go batten down the hatches!
mmmwwwhhhaa xo

Barbara said...

....live is full of memories and I have also a lot of memories ...my children are sometimes at home, sometimes going out for study, sometimes coming back with many new ideas. I love this coming and going, but each time its a new situation and my heart has to work hard...
Your painting is so beautiful ....sometimes i wish I can do the same ,but I think each one of us has its own talent...and thats good.
Happy New Year Barbara

femminismo said...

Oh, Judy. The paintings are wonderful and I'm so glad you had a fun New Year's Eve. So did I, dancing with the Mister at McMenamins.
Your story of young, single motherhood reminds me of those times in my own life - going through those mistakes and struggles. But I'd do it all again in a minute ... and I never thought I'd say that! Thanks for reminding me of precious memories.

bridgette said...

wishing you a happy and creative new year judy! Glad our paths crossed this year.

Daris Judd said...

Hi Judy, I want to know when do you sleep, you have so much going on.

borrors said...

I love these! And the story and I shared your thoughts about motherhood with a friend who needed a word hug so thank you.

Ro Bruhn said...

What an adorable photo of your two girls and your paintings are gorgeous, I hope you get to teach over here one day, I'll be first to enroll in your class.
Ro
xo

suze said...

Love,love,love the paintings!

diane said...

That picture reminds me of the one I posted on my blog of my daughter on her birthday, which was December 4th. While looking thru old pictures, I saw so many others that I had forgotten about. I just love looking at them. This one, of your daughters, is just precious.
I was a single mom for 9 years, and it was a tough road. I believe that is one reason why I am so thankful for my life today. Plus, my daughter, is such a joy and my best friend.
Happy New Year Judy. I have enjoyed your blog and ART this past year~

Robyn said...

I love these paintings Judy. They are so rich and exciting.

Karen Cole said...

Ah... Judy, Judy, Judy.....

I just know I am destined to take one of your classes one day.... Ravens Nest looks great. I have scheduled quite a bit of things already this year. My husband is a dear understanding man, but I'm afraid that I may have scheduled too many workshops already. I could do one a month , if I did not have to work. There are so many interesting people in this world and I want to meet them all.

How wonderful that you are collaborating with that very talented group of women.

It looks like a beautiful year.

Lynn said...

I have posted the starting of registration on my blog for ART and Soul in Portland. Am willing to fly up. Looks like fun.
But I imagine the classes will fill quickly with all the exposure you have with your blog.
I hope I get in...

I also join the others in the single mother group/did "on welfare" for six years, with two little kids, best education of my life...learned to bake and cook and sew and shop thrift stores...made me who I am today!
;-) And I think that's good! LOL

ginny Smallenburg said...

Although I was not single when my kids were little, my (then) husband traveled 250 days a year, most often to 3rd world countries so we had little communication while he was gone. I always secretly considered myself a single mom and I was very young...20 when I had my 1st baby. It wasn't easy but the rewards are a very close relationship with those children who really grew up with me.
Love the old photos. Makes me weepy.

Cre8Tiva said...

looks like a banner year for you...love the tiny wonders in beloved jammies...does a mother's heart good to remember...blessings, rebecca

Cindy said...

Love the photo of the girls in their PJs; it's just precious. And those painting of yours ... so rich, so soulful. I want to take a class from you someday, but you aren't teaching in my area! Shame on you!

Here's wishing you a happy and creative New Year!

angeljoy said...

Gosh, I love those paintings of yours!!

Judy said...

MMM would love to take a class one day too.
xo

bridgette said...

love the top painting, Judy! She reminds me of a beautiful Virgen de Guadelupe.


I gave you an award called "You Make my day award" :) because well, you posts do make my day when they pop up on my bloglines. No need to do this, but just wanted to let you know!

dfh said...

情色,A片,AIO,AV,日本AV,色情A片,AV女優,A漫,免費A片,A片下載,情色A片,哈啦聊天室,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,色情聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080視訊聊天室,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,免費視訊聊天,上班族聊天室,080中部人聊天室,視訊聊天室,視訊聊天,成人聊天室,一夜情聊天室,辣妹視訊,情色視訊,成人,成人影片,成人光碟,成人影城,自拍